Old 07-09-2013, 12:38 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Farm1[_4_] Farm1[_4_] is offline

Default Source of microgreens seeds?

"Derald" wrote in message
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

What exactly do you mean by "microgreens"?

What do _you_ mean by "microgreens". As far as I can determine,
microgreens are a resurgent fad among foodies. I first saw them used in
the Oz version of "Masterchef". Some sources claim them to be
"specially bred" miniatures while others freely admit "microgreens" to
be seedlings with their first couple of true leaves. Regardless of
which, they sell at inflated prices to the gullible. True believers
claim enhanced nutritional properties; cynics wish the idea had been
theirs.

And then there are another group who, like me, would think that of those two
groups, one lot is silly and the other lot is greedy.

Here is a link to a brief item published by USA's propaganda
ministry:
http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2012/08/29/160274163/introducing-microgreens-younger-and-maybe-more-nutritious-vegetables
In it, you'll notice that at least 7 days' growth magically transforms
"sprouts" into "microgreens".
Some seedsmen actually sell "microgreens" seeds. Here is one
example. Prices are typical:
http://www.johnnyseeds.com/c-48-micro-greens.aspx

And here is an Oz supplier (and one that I use often as I like their seeds
and range):
http://greenharvest.com.au/Sprouting...formation.html