Old 07-09-2013, 05:28 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Source of microgreens seeds?

Farm1 wrote:
"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
S.Rodgers wrote:
I've been looking at seed catalogues and seed packets on sale
locally in grocery stores, etc., and have seen that prices are much
too high to grow ones own microgreens based on the price for the
small seed packets.

Does anyone know of a source in _CANADA_ (or at the very least USA)
of mixed microgreen salad green seeds sold in bulk - i.e., priced
per lb or kg), by any chance?

I'd also prefer organic seeds, too.

Thanks so much in advance!

What exactly do you mean by "microgreens"?

LOL. I'm pleased to see that you aren't following the latest fad :-))

Microgreens are the latest best thing and are EVERYWHERE at the
moment. Just look around the counter area of your local nursery next
time you are in there and you'll see them. You will also have been
given a packet if you buy both of the local major gardenign mag as
they've been the 'free' feature pack on the front of one or the other
within the last couple of months.

Basically cast your midn back to the 70s when it was all about
sprouts in jars festering on or under sinks in old jam jars.

Microgreens are the modern day equivalent but rather than using the
old rinse twice daily method they now say to put them in a seed
raising tray in seedling mix and cut when they get their first set of
true leaves.

The 'greens' part of the name is a mesclun mix in effect.

Seems pointless to me.