Old 07-09-2013, 04:52 PM posted to rec.gardens
brooklyn1 brooklyn1 is offline

Default What trees to plant ?

On Sat, 7 Sep 2013 15:10:57 +0200, Hornmeister68
wrote:

Hi, I'm new to this site as well as pretty new to gardening.

Been spending a lot of time in my garden this Summer and I want to plant
a tree, or even trees at the bottom of my garden as we're overlooked by
the house at the back.

I want to know what's the best tree to plant ? Our garden is North East
facing and the soil is clay which obviously retains a lot of moisture
and there is some shade there,

Any advice would be greatly appreciated,

Your first consideration for determining what tree to plant is how
much space you have for it to attain full size (width and height).
Also I strongly advise to not plant a free of a mature size that were
it to fall can damage structures, yours and your neighbors. Next I
suggest you read as much as you can about the various trees that grow
in your area.... consider whether you want a tree for shade,
screening, specimen, fruit, etc. Actually once you address the
previous basics only you can make the choice.... and there is also
price, some trees can be quite expensive, and your age, all trees are
slow growing, some so slow growing that you won't live long enough to
sit in their shade... so you may want to have a professional plant an
older tree... planting a seedling or sapling you may well never get to
enjoy it. A tree is a very long term investment, think long and hard
about what to choose, where to locate it, and don't stint on the cost.