Old 08-09-2013, 02:22 AM posted to rec.gardens
Higgs Boson Higgs Boson is offline

Default Dwart Washington Navel orange - biennial?

On Saturday, September 7, 2013 5:48:15 PM UTC-7, David E. Ross wrote:
On 9/7/13 2:17 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:

Last year my beloved little tree finally bore TWELVE heavenly oranges - taste out of this world!

This year it has only TWO! Gardener thinks it's one year on, one year off.

But does he *know?*

Any experience out there? I tried a Web search, but the only thing I found was that it needs to be pollinated. Thanks a lot!

I guess those two new fruits got pollinated somehow; I didn't notice. Just found ONE new bloom.

So is it annual or biennial? If annual, what am I doing wrong? I'm giving it adequate food, water and She is giving it sunshine.

If biennial, why those 2-1/2 volunteers?

This is So. Calif coastal.

Thanks for any enlightenment.

HB

My dwarf 'Robertson' navel orange had fruit in alternating years until

about two years ago. That was about 18 years after I planted it. Now

it has fruit every year, but not enough.

On the other hand, my dwarf 'Eureka' lemon and my kumquat have always

had fruit every year (more lemons than anyone can use and more kumquats

than I can eat). I planted them about 7 years ago.

My dwarf 'Mineola' tangelo was also planted about 7 years ago. It had

three tangelos last year, which was the first time it ever had fruit.

This year: nothing.

All of my dwarf citrus get the same care, the same fertilizer and

irrigation. Of course, they share the same climate.

Well, I guess I'll just have to go with the Dwarfie's flow! I was just concerned because I had waited SO LONG...

I have a sign on one of my inside doors: "God grant me patience -- right now!"

HB

David E. Ross

Climate: California Mediterranean, see