Old 09-09-2013, 03:01 AM posted to rec.gardens
Kay Lancaster Kay Lancaster is offline

Default What trees to plant ?

On Sun, 08 Sep 2013 15:55:22 -0400, Frank wrote:
On 9/8/2013 4:36 AM, Hornmeister68 wrote:
Thanks for the replies and advice everyone,

The "supposed" tree would be approx 40 foot from my house and about 30
foot from my neighbours, so its not too close to any structures although
it would be near the fence that borders our land.

I live in the north west of England (Liverpool) so our climate isn't
that hot, we're prone to rain up here and can get cold winters with
snow.

Cheers

Ian

Now that you've given dimensions, I would also advise not planting
anything that will exceed 30-40 feet when fully mature.

So what do you want this tree to do? Evergreen? Deciduous? Are you after fruit, flowers, fall color, bark texture in winter, what? Will you care for the tree, as you need to with fruit trees, or just want
to plant it and let it grow? How fast should it grow? How expensive to take down a too-big or dead big
tree at that location if you choose a species that's not long-lived? How much shade do you want
on the ground under the tree?

The only way you'll get far with this quest is to think about what you want from the tree, what resources
you will expend for it, and then consult (preferably locally) good nursery folks or landscape architects
who will help you choose a tree that meets your needs and wants and is suitable for the soil and sun
available.

Poorly chosen trees often turn into expensive menaces. Well chosen trees enhance the value of the property.

Kay