Old 10-09-2013, 11:13 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Pear Tree/Montana Clematis

On 09/09/2013 23:06, Midwood Sue wrote:
My Montana Clematis has started growing into my Pear tree winding it's
self around the branches. Can anyone tell me as to whether this will
damage or harm the tree ?

Probably not, but C. montana is incredibly vigorous and given a few
years could well cover the tree. Fruit production will suffer. There is
a also very low chance that the additional weight and area of the
clematis could result in a tree with a weakened root system blowing over
in a storm.

If you have concerns wait until January or February, then dig up the
clematis and move it to a better place.

--

Jeff