Old 11-09-2013, 02:28 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
[email protected] mjciccarel@gmail.com is offline

Default Viable Seed Age

On Wednesday, September 11, 2013 9:15:38 AM UTC-4, Ecnerwal wrote:
In article ,

" wrote:

Pepper seeds in particular. I harvest my own seeds from grocery store peppers

and the ones I grow. Are the seeds from 2011 still going to be viable in

January when I start my plants? I will have some from this years crop but I

think I may have waited too long and will not have all the varieties.

Thanks

MJ

Depends on how they are stored - and the only real way to know is to try

them. If you have excess seed from the 2011 batch you could run a

germination test - if not, either buy seeds or just give them a try when

the time comes.

Tomato seeds have very long viability - I've gotten 90% out of 10 year

old packets stored less than ideally. I dislike peppers of all sorts, so

I don't grow them, so I have no idea how long their seeds might last.

I store all my seeds (after drying) in plastic vials with lids on a dark shelf. Think medicine bottles.
MJ