Old 11-09-2013, 06:31 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Frank Frank is offline

Default Viable Seed Age

On 9/11/2013 10:39 AM, wrote:
On Wednesday, September 11, 2013 10:17:16 AM UTC-4, Frank wrote:
On 9/11/2013 9:00 AM,
wrote:

Pepper seeds in particular. I harvest my own seeds from grocery store peppers and the ones I grow. Are the seeds from 2011 still going to be viable in January when I start my plants? I will have some from this years crop but I think I may have waited too long and will not have all the varieties.

Thanks

MJ

Easy to google up a lot of this stuff:

http://awaytogarden.com/estimating-v...-do-seeds-last

Thanks for the link but I would rather learn from folks that have had experience of their own. I am also not using "commercial" seeds.
MJ

I don't have a lot of experience but always figured tomatoes and peppers
were good for at least 2 years. Last year, I collected seeds from a
local heirloom tomato and every seed I planted grew and I figure the
rest will be good until next year.

I don't know about commercial peppers but I'd be concerned with hybrids
that won't breed true.