Old 11-09-2013, 11:02 PM posted to rec.gardens
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default Butterfly weed

BeTu wrote:

We just purchased this plant this summer.
We live in zone 5. Does this plant need to
be cut back in either late winter or early
spring? Thanks!

do you mean Asclepias tuberosa as shown by

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butterfly_weed

?

if so, we are also in zone 5 and i leave most
of ours alone. some in the more formal gardens
get trimmed back after they die back naturally
in the fall.

if you don't want volunteer plants harvest the
pods before they split open very far. it is
actually easier to harvest the seeds if you pick
the pods right when they start splitting as then
you can hold all the silk and brush the seeds
off.

songbird