Old 12-09-2013, 12:02 AM posted to rec.gardens
BeTu BeTu is offline

Default Butterfly weed

On Wednesday, September 11, 2013 6:02:40 PM UTC-4, songbird wrote:
BeTu wrote:

We just purchased this plant this summer.

We live in zone 5. Does this plant need to

be cut back in either late winter or early

spring? Thanks!

do you mean Asclepias tuberosa as shown by

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butterfly_weed

?

if so, we are also in zone 5 and i leave most

of ours alone. some in the more formal gardens

get trimmed back after they die back naturally

in the fall.

if you don't want volunteer plants harvest the

pods before they split open very far. it is

actually easier to harvest the seeds if you pick

the pods right when they start splitting as then

you can hold all the silk and brush the seeds

off.

songbird

Thanks songbird....yes, that seems to be the one....I'll leave it alone, and watch it next spring...thanks for the advice.