Old 12-09-2013, 12:03 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
[email protected] mjciccarel@gmail.com is offline

Default Viable Seed Age

On Wednesday, September 11, 2013 9:14:33 PM UTC-4, songbird wrote:
Farm1 wrote:

This will be the first season that I've tried growing capsicum (peppers)

from seed saved last year so I don't yet know by 1st hand experience how

viable saved capsicum seed may be. I did however check what my 2 seed

saving books say.

The 1st book which is USian but which I don't like a lot is 'Seed to Seed'

and it says 50% viabiliy at 3 years if stored correctly. The Australian

book 'The Seed Savers Handbook' says they remain viable for 5 years if

stored correctly.

Sounds like you should be OK if either or both of them are right.

does either say anything about freezing as a

possibility for pepper seeds? i would suspect

not, but ...

one correspondent uses the refrigerator and

reports acceptable germination rates for some

peppers after almost 20 years.

i don't do my own pepper or tomato starts

here... would rather keep worms i guess.

songbird

Thanks everyone,
I have decided to do a little test of my own. I have enough vials to be able to keep both new and old seeds. So in January when I am board and itching I will start both and see what happens.
MJ