Old 19-08-2013, 09:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Mangetout Peas saving for seed

On 19/08/2013 21:21, Bertie Doe wrote:
I have left about 100 pods un-harvested, with a view to collecting seed,
as they're a bit pricey.

Should I leave the swollen pods to dry out in situ or should I shell
them and air-dry the peas? TIA.

I just collect the dry pods from the plants prior to pulling them up.
Then shell the pods. Most peas are quite dry and beige colour. I also
keep the larger green peas too. I put them all on a large tray and put
them outside in the sunshine for a few days, bringing them back indoors
again overnight. After a few days they are all dry (wrinkly) and beige
colour. I put the peas in a leg of old tights and hang them in the attic
to store them overwinter where it is cool, dry and airy.

--
David in Normandy.