Old 19-08-2013, 10:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David Hill David Hill is offline

Default Mangetout Peas saving for seed

On 19/08/2013 22:06, Bertie Doe wrote:

"David Hill" wrote in message ...

On 19/08/2013 20:21, Bertie Doe wrote:
I have left about 100 pods un-harvested, with a view to collecting seed,
as they're a bit pricey.

Should I leave the swollen pods to dry out in situ or should I shell
them and air-dry the peas? TIA.

Leave them.

I select my pods for seed through the season keeping the best, these
I spray blue using an Oasis flower spray paint bought from a local
wholesale florist.
This e bay link shows the colour range.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/16095...f13=80&ff14=83

Thanks David, I haven't heard of this method before. Are you saying that
paint spraying the pods, preserves the seed till the following Spring?

The colour is waterproof so doesn't wash off Pam.
The reason for spraying them is to stop me picking them by mistake, as ,
I said before I select the best pods through the season and as I grow
heritage varieties that pick over several weeks need some way of marking
them.
It doesn't help them keep any better