Old 19-08-2013, 11:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bertie Doe Bertie Doe is offline

Default Mangetout Peas saving for seed

"David in Normandy" wrote in message ...

On 19/08/2013 21:21, Bertie Doe wrote:
I have left about 100 pods un-harvested, with a view to collecting seed,
as they're a bit pricey.

Should I leave the swollen pods to dry out in situ or should I shell
them and air-dry the peas? TIA.

I just collect the dry pods from the plants prior to pulling them up. Then
shell the pods. Most peas are quite dry and beige colour. I also keep the
larger green peas too. I put them all on a large tray and put them outside
in the sunshine for a few days, bringing them back indoors again overnight.
After a few days they are all dry (wrinkly) and beige colour. I put the
peas in a leg of old tights and hang them in the attic to store them
overwinter where it is cool, dry and airy.

Thanks David, I'll try this method, Hopefully I'll collect about 500 peas
for next season.
The flowers are quite attractive also, two-colour, similar to those halfway
down this link:-
http://planetpenny.co.uk/2010/07/13/...r-for-ducks-2/