Old 20-08-2013, 10:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_11_] Sacha[_11_] is offline

Default First real of blackberries today

On 2013-08-20 09:14:17 +0100, David in Normandy said:

On 20/08/2013 00:17, Victoria Conlan wrote:
David in Normandy wrote:
We've already had around 10 lb. It is a cultivated variety with huge
fruits but unfortunately they have a pith. Not so good for use in pies
and jams so spouse is freezing them at the moment then plans to make a
large batch of blackberry jelly - she can sieve out the pith that way.

I'm failing to comprehend how blackberries can havea pith.

I'm not sure if pith is the correct word. They are a cultivated variety
of blackberry around three times the size of wild blackberries but they
have a firm pulpy bit on the inside. The blackberry plant cost €8 five
years ago from the local garden centre and this year it is running
rampant and is covered in blackberries. It is also thorn free which is
a bonus when picking them.

Isn't that the 'hull' of the fruit, hence hulling strawberries etc?
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com