Old 20-08-2013, 11:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Baz[_3_] Baz[_3_] is offline

Default Mangetout Peas saving for seed

"Bertie Doe" wrote in
:

I have left about 100 pods un-harvested, with a view to collecting
seed, as they're a bit pricey.

Should I leave the swollen pods to dry out in situ or should I shell
them and air-dry the peas? TIA.

Leave them in situ until the pod dries and goes papery. Then pick them and
pod them. Put the dried peas in lightly salted tepid water for an hour or
so to get rid of moth grub. The grub(if any) will float to the top, as some
peas will. Get rid of anything that floats after the hour. Let the sunk
peas dry again and store them.
Bit of a faff, but getting rid of duff seed will give much better
germination rate at sowing time next year. And no grub can hibernate.

Baz