Old 21-08-2013, 12:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_11_] Sacha[_11_] is offline

Default Mystery butterfly

On 2013-08-21 12:13:55 +0100, CT said:

Sacha wrote:

This is the unknown butterfly seen in one of the greenhouses a week
or so ago. I still think it must be an escapee. Sadly, it hasn't been
seen again. http://www.flickr.com/photos/93694401@N03/9562967292/

It's a Postman Butterfly:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heliconius_melpomene

How terrific of you and Stewart to come up with that so quickly. Thank
you very much indeed. It says that it's poisonous but not to what! Man,
birds, other insects? Only other butterflies, I wonder? I'll do some
more looking up. The Nursery team will be thrilled to know about it.
We have quite a lot of passion flowers in various greenhouses, so that
could explain how it found its way to us. Thank you very much!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com