Old 21-08-2013, 03:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David Hill David Hill is offline

Default First real of blackberries today

On 21/08/2013 11:07, Victoria Conlan wrote:
David in Normandy wrote:
I'm not sure if pith is the correct word. They are a cultivated variety
of blackberry around three times the size of wild blackberries but they
have a firm pulpy bit on the inside. The blackberry plant cost ?8 five
years ago from the local garden centre and this year it is running
rampant and is covered in blackberries. It is also thorn free which is a
bonus when picking them.

Ah yes, that bit. I've never quite understood how one is meant to
treat blackberries. They've never been a great favourite of mine.
They're like raspberry wannabies.

(they also take over the allotment entirely - not a single bit of
patch that doesn't have blackberry interlopers, and it's all thorn
and no fruit! Including, I hasten to add, right the way through the
shed and out the roof and window!)

Found this Blackberry growing in a poly tunnel a few years ago.
When fruiting undercover you would never think it was a blackberry
wonderful flavour,
Outside it has a medium sized fruit and unfortunately thorns, but not
the worst.
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...ps130d41d9.jpg

David @ an overcast Swansea Bay