Old 22-08-2013, 11:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jake Jake is offline

Default Autumn fruiting raspberries

On Tue, 20 Aug 2013 17:49:46 +0100, David Hill
wrote:

On 19/08/2013 11:39, echinosum wrote:
'Broadback[_3_ Wrote:
;990160']they are no match for my Summer ones, either in quantity or
quality. I wonder if I should have thinned out the canes during the
Summer, as it is a veritable jungle. If they are as poor next year I
will give up and remove them.

I have the opposite experience. Autumn raspberries are copious, large,
dark and worm free. They are grown on thin stony soil and I give them
nothing but the occasional scattering of wood ash, and water them only
in desperately dry conditions. You are supposed to replant raspberries
every 10 years or so, but I bought these about 25 years ago and have
never renewed them, even took some with me when I moved house. They did
even better in the clay-and-flints-and-utter-neglect of my previous
house.

This makes the 5th copy.

I now have 8 copies. As they have different IDs and send times, it
looks like echinosum's PC (or whatever device used) is resending them
at about 20 second intervals whilst the Usenet client is connected.
This points to an issue with the packet acknowledgement (what tells
the sending device that the transmission has been received ok) and is
most likely to be something on the PC (firewall or NIC).

Whilst it may be a one-off blip, if there is an ongoing issue it could
impact particularly on emails which might well disappear into the
ether (because the PC would keep sending the same parts of the email
and the receiving system would be discarding them and eventually
deciding that the message was incomplete and so ignoring it). It's
happened with two different Usenet posts so may not be a simple blip.

--
Cheers, Jake