Old 24-08-2013, 11:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Janet is offline

Default Garden Design

In article ,
says...

After many years with a small garden I now have a very large blank
canvas to keep me occupied. At the moment, its featureless. Can anyone
suggest a good book on Garden Design.

Most garden design writers have personal ideas and tastes on what
makes a good garden, which leave a recognisable stamp on every garden
they make (even for other people) and their books usually reflect that.
Without any hint of what you might need/like/reject in your garden plan
it's impossible to guess which designer's books might appeal to you.

They tend to be heavily illustrated so expensive, and you certainly
don't want to lash out at Amazon on a stranger's recommendation then
find it has no appeal to you. So expensive, that very often library
services do not purchase copies for every branch, but share one round
the county. I suggest you borrow whatever's available in your local
library catalogue lists and use those to get an idea of what is
possible, what appeals (or not) etc. Also, look in the library (or
friends' bookshelves) for coffee-table books which while not about
design, showcase dozens of mature garden. Spend a few hours in
Waterstones where looking through their books is encouraged, no
pressure to buy. By doing your own wide sweep you'll get a better idea
of which design ideas are sympathetic to your tastes... and whatever
unalterable local conditions will inevitably influence the garden you
make.

Janet.