Old 24-08-2013, 05:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Paul Luton[_2_] Paul Luton[_2_] is offline

Default Transplanting Raspberries

On 20/08/2013 19:52, Roger Tonkin wrote:
Whilst clearing down the blackcurrants, I found
entwined several long (5ft+) summer fruiting raspberry
canes, spread away from my main row by aboy 4ft. As I
would like some more canes in the row, can I move
these as they are and expect them to fruit next year
or should I move and cut down in the autumn so they
will shhot next year for cropping the year after.

I prefer the former approach and may well try a couple
even if strongly advised against it!!!

Go for it. I tried that a few years ago and getting a crop in the first
year seemed to have no long term ill effects. The books tend to talk
about raspberries being surface rooted ; be prepared to go well down to
dig them up.