Old 24-08-2013, 07:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
'Mike'[_4_] 'Mike'[_4_] is offline

Default Garden Design

You are so right. Our gardens have taken over 20 years to come to a position
whereby we can open to the public on Charity Fund raising days.

Mike

On 2013-08-24 09:44:33 +0000, Charlie Pridham said:

"Derek" wrote in message
After many years with a small garden I now have a very large blank
canvas to keep me occupied. At the moment, its featureless. Can anyone
suggest a good book on Garden Design.

Leave the books on the shelves, unless you are planning to enter it for
competitions, its your garden, make it how you think it looks good, its
common sense to organize things so you can get about.

People would think a lot less of designed gardens if they were allowed to
see them over a 12 month period instead of a few days at a show.

I now get irritated to the point I just can not watch garden programs at
all, I have lost track of the number of truly daft designs I have seen of
late, uncuttable grass, beautiful mirror ponds and shiny surfaces (for the
gardens that never have leaves fall, dust or rain) Gardens that only would
look good in June, wonderful cloud pruned hedges with no means of getting
at them to cut them, this list is endless.

I am sure yours will be lovely and betters still you will have enjoyed
doing it

Charlie, it's definitely time you and Liz came over! I cannot count the
times I've heard Ray look at garden 'designs' and make these comments.
Plants so close together that he knows that particular type will get
mildew plants looking fabulous for two weeks then - bang, over and not
a bloom in sight. Mirrors in the garden to make it look bigger -
delightful - covered in bird poop, mildew and slime - great idea! So
to Derek, I suppose the answer is, choose the plants you like in the
shape you want and take it slowly. Above all, take it slowly. 'Instant'
gardens really do not happen in real life!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com