Old 24-08-2013, 10:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default End of summer?

On Sat, 24 Aug 2013 17:57:51 +0100, David Rance wrote:

Are you down in France now? The nights are getting cold, and fall
colours are starting early in some of the maples. It will be mushroom
season soon...

Yes, we're in Normandy. We have a glut of plums (hasn't everyone?) and
I'm making plum relish every other evening. I forgot to bring my recipe
for plum chutney over which is a bit annoying! My wife can't face the
thought of more plum jam so what else can I do with them?

Actually we are without plums. Not really sure why, and others around us
have them. A friend in the village has given us carte blanche to
collect, they weren't quite ripe last time I was there to water.

I'll be grubbing up the mirabelle this winter, all the bark on one side
has died. Feh.

Going to have a good cider apple harvest this year, too.

Yes it looks like a good year for apples, needed after last year when
there were none at all. Not many pears though. A few peaches will be
ready in a week or so, but again a very small crop.

cheers,

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy