Old 24-08-2013, 10:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider[_3_] Spider[_3_] is offline

Default Battery-powered hedge trimmers

On 24/08/2013 12:41, wrote:
In ,
wrote:

For those who don't already know, I am a lady spider, so I would need to
avoid the heaviest machines, but I don't want a flimsy 'toy' model,
either. Having looked at one or two online, the gripping handles look
huge for a lady's hand, so that might be an issue.

Well, I am definitely not a lady and will leave others to judge
whether I am a gentleman :-) But I am very weak in the arms for
a reasonably fit man, and had to give up using a mains electric
one because of the danger. That was a while ago, so it was
probably a similar weight to modern battery ones.

The problem was that holding my arms up and the vibration caused
me to let it drop partly out of control. After it nearly landed
on my legs three times, I gave up and went back to shears and
secateurs. The alternative is, of course, to pay someone to do
it (whether in cash or kind).

It is worth checking that you CAN use such a device for more than
a few minutes with your arms at the height you would need to hold
them. Quite a few women can't.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Thanks, Nick, and I'm sure you are a gentleman :~).

I am certainly not intending to chop my legs off, as a legless spider
is, well, not very spidery.

I am stronger in the arms than, perhaps, some ladies, but sometimes have
weak and painful hands due to rheumatism. Naturally, I would not use
the trimmer in those circumstances. I did use a friend's mains powered
one about ten yrs ago and don't remember any problems, but I may ask if
I can have another go with hers purely to judge the weight and tremble
effect as I wobble off into advanced old age;~). No, I'm not that
creaky yet, but not getting any younger, either. I will continue to use
secateurs and geared loppers for my considerable pyracantha hedge
because the flowering and fruiting is so much better when carefully
judged, but for non-flowering material I am prepared to try a power timmer.

Thanks for your comments.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London