Old 25-08-2013, 10:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default End of summer?

In article ,
David Rance wrote:
In message , Emery Davis
writes

I'll be grubbing up the mirabelle this winter, all the bark on one side
has died. Feh.

That's a shame. We have a greengage back in Reading that seemed to be
going the same way but my wife cut out all the rotten bits in the main
trunk and put Arbrex on it and it seems to have recovered and is growing
again strongly.

That makes a lot of sense.

Plums regrow from their base and even rootstock all too readily - they
are very difficult to remove! Cutting it down to ground level and
letting one or a few shoots regrow might well work.

We've never had success with peaches or apricots. The trees just die on
us! We had a reasonable apple harvest last year and made sixty bottles
of cider, but it'll be in excess of that this year.

I am doing reasonably well with a peche de vigne - not great for
eating, but excellent for cooking! I shall discover how resistant
it is to peach leaf curl, as it is now 15' high and it isn't
feasible for me to remove all of the infected leaves.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.