Old 26-08-2013, 12:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider[_3_] Spider[_3_] is offline

Default Battery-powered hedge trimmers

On 26/08/2013 12:08, Jake wrote:
On Sun, 25 Aug 2013 22:43:16 +0100, wrote:

Oh. Just thought of another question. In your experience, do power
trimmers 'kick' alarmingly when they meet a tough bit of branch they
don't like? I'm not otherwise too worried about using one, but that
sort of fright just might make me unusually girly.

If a branch is too wide to fit between the teeth, it won't get in
there! If it fits in the gap then it should be within the machine's
capability. So I doubt you'll experience any kickback to worry about.

Indeed, given that a battery-powered motor will generally be weaker
than an electric or petrol one, I would expect that if the trimmer
encounters something too tough, it will simply stop and make a naughty
noise until you release the trigger.

However, I check hedge surfaces over before I start and if there is a
particularly thick branch I remove it with loppers (to a point below
the "trimming line") before I start with a hedge trimmer. Apart from
anything else, pushing the trimmer to its limit means the blades
blunt more quickly and round here sharpening is about £30 a time.

That all makes a great deal of sense and is most reassuring. Thanks,
Jake. Interestingly, I've already checked for stout close-to-surface
branches, so that's how I'll continue.

So far, the battery-carried-separately type (despite being very light)
may not be powerful enough. I am currently looking at a Bosch with
54/20 blade ratio and a 36V battery. The weight isn't too bad. There
is a more powerful one, but I doubt I'll need that. I know myself well
enough to know that I have to have a tool that I respect and which is a
little more powerful than I need so that it's working a little light of
its ultimate capability. So far, that Bosch model fits the bill *and*
RG is happy with it, too. If nothing else catches my eye soon, we will
be ordering that one. Naturally, I will report back here whichever I
choose, after I've given it some use.

Thank you so much for your most instructive advice, Jake.
Thanks also to everyone else who chipped in and helped shape my opinion.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London