Old 27-08-2013, 10:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_11_] Sacha[_11_] is offline

Default Weeeeeeed!

On 2013-08-27 10:25:01 +0100, Jake said:

On Mon, 26 Aug 2013 23:32:17 +0100, sacha wrote:

£4 for a pot of dandelions ...

I read it as ONE dandelion plant in an approx 1 litre pot. I hope it's
a big one for that money.

I think that's just what it is - one plant. I was thinking of the
multiple heads, I suppose! I wonder who DOES buy pots of weeds for
that sort of money. Any nurseryman will tell you that you get the
occasional customer who will baulk at spending £5.00 on a perennial
that will last years. But they'd probably buy a bunch of flowers for
twice that and it will be dead in a week! So who will cheerfully spend
that sort of money on a pot of weeds, however pretty, edible or
wildlife friendly they are? Sometimes we see those newspaper ads for
plants that are 'only' £8.99 per plant and in the small print, the pot
size is 9cm! Obviously people buy them, or they wouldn't go on
advertising them at great expense. But it's an awful lot of money for
very little. The only thing I'm thinking is that there really is a
market for highly priced stuff that makes the buyers believe they're
getting some rare luxury goods. Bit like the current vogue for
hideously ugly, stratospherically expensive handbags! Or a restaurant
near London where the prices are extremely high and the customers sit
in scruffy old greenhouses, surrounded by shabby-chic 'stuff' and on
wet days get rained on, while the waitresses wear wellies. It's
expensive and it gives a certain type of Londoner what I call the
'Marie Antoinette experience' of playing at living in the country!
There's nowt so queer as folk, to quote the same old granny!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com