Old 27-08-2013, 10:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider[_3_] Spider[_3_] is offline

Default Battery-powered hedge trimmers

On 27/08/2013 14:21, S Viemeister wrote:
On 8/27/2013 9:19 AM, Spider wrote:

Well, we've finally ordered a battery-operated Bosch, so it will be
interesting to see how it performs. I need to get some goggles now,
otherwise I won't be able to use it.

Which model did you order?

It was the Bosch AHS 54-20 Li with a 36V battery pack.

In fact, it came today! We charged up the battery and gave it a little
test. RG had a go first, then I did. It's very good, and will be
better when I've had a bit of practise. It certainly seems to be well
made and the blade is *sharp*. Between us, we trimmed both small
Euonymous microphylla hedges (approx 40ft long in total) and an almost
6ft yew specimen which I want to topiarise. We both had a bit of
trouble persuading young, whippy shoots to feed themselves into the
blade, rather than bending away, but I think that's part of acquiring
the right technique. In fact, I think a helpful poster suggested
something earlier in this thread, so I shall look back at that to see
what was said.

I can't properly comment on the time it took to charge because I think
it was partially charged when it came. However, it was still going
strong when we finished with it, so no problems.

All in all, I'm very pleased with it. I may even have to plant more
hedges or topiary subjects! Allowing for being seriously sensible and
safety-concious, one might even be inclined to say it's fun. To put all
this into perspective, I'm a 5ft 4" 58yr old blonde woman - if I can do
it, anyone can do it!

It's early days to recommend it without more useage, but I think I may
be recommending in the not too distant future :~).

Thanks everyone for your helpful advice, comments and links. It's all
been worthwhile :~)).

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London