Old 29-08-2013, 01:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Chipper/shredders?

On Thursday 29 August 2013 09:42 'Mike' wrote in uk.rec.gardening:

I can vouch for the 2200 and also what it will do. I bent the mounting
plate yesterday with a Hawthorn Branch which was too big. Stopped the
machine dead. Great big red button to knock the power off.

Comes to pieces very easily and I had a new plate on its way to me via the
blown apart sectional drawings on a web site. Tip. Order a couple of extra
blades and a bench grinder if you are doing a lot. Our gardens are only
small, but we take in 'stuff' from our neighbour to 'save him taking it to
the tip' ...... we do him a favour and we get the compost.

Highly recommended

Mike

wrote in message ...

In article ,
Tim Watts wrote:

I did read this:

http://www.u-r-g.co.uk/shredder.htm

but if I was looking for a shredder/chipper to handle odd branches and
lots of hawthorn clippings, which would be a good model?

The purpose is to have less bulk and more ready to compost material.

Electric is OK. Bosch have a few that will do (claimed) up to 4cm or so
thick branches. I will have a few of those, but mostly I'm looking to deal
with a wheelie bin packed solid with finer clippings from mainly a
hawthorn hedge.

Will any of the consumer ones be useful rather than a PITA? Last time I
used
a chipper it was a full sized hire one - as in "stuff in an entire 3"
hawthorn trunk with branches and watch as the hydraulic power feed sucked
it
to its doom".

The Bosch 2200 quiet model is excellent, but will not handle leafy
or fleshy material. It will handle up to c. 4 cm, but ONLY soft
wood - and hawthorn is a very hard wood. It will compress such
things as hawthorn clippings.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Thank you both

I have a bench grinder. And I will not try to munch 4cm hawthorn - probably
just 1-2cm at worst. I still have a green wheelie bin for exceptional stuff
I just want to make a new massive wooden compost bin and turn more stuff
through it.

Cheers

Tim