Old 29-08-2013, 07:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Chipper/shredders?

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
Hi,

I did read this:

http://www.u-r-g.co.uk/shredder.htm

but if I was looking for a shredder/chipper to handle odd branches and
lots
of hawthorn clippings, which would be a good model?

The purpose is to have less bulk and more ready to compost material.

Electric is OK. Bosch have a few that will do (claimed) up to 4cm or so
thick branches. I will have a few of those, but mostly I'm looking to deal
with a wheelie bin packed solid with finer clippings from mainly a
hawthorn
hedge.

Will any of the consumer ones be useful rather than a PITA? Last time I
used
a chipper it was a full sized hire one - as in "stuff in an entire 3"
hawthorn trunk with branches and watch as the hydraulic power feed sucked
it
to its doom".

Cheers!

I have a JCB electric shredder, it will eat broomhandle sized branches all
day, but it doesn't like fresh. As long as I let prunings dry out it chomps
them happily. If I try to put them through green it blocks up.

Tina