Old 31-08-2013, 08:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Trevor Appleton Trevor Appleton is offline

Default Clematis armandii

I had one in frosty East Yorkshire for 7 or 8 years. The trunk grew to
almost 6 inches diameter. I used to dispute the claim that it was scented
though - never smelt anything from mine.

wrote in message ...

All of my references say that this is not particularly hardy, but
I am coming to the conclusion that may be another gardening myth.
Has anyone got experiences of it suffering more than slightly
with (a) -10 Celcius in winter or (b) late frosts?

On this, I lost a few morning glory seedlings and young shoots
of a few plants died in the recent frosts. Nothing of consequence,
so far! But C. armandii had no trouble, though I have lost young
shoots in the past.

On another aspect, does anyone have experience of "Snowdrift"?
Is it a reasonably tough form, and what does it smell like?
"Apple Blossom", I know.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.