Old 01-09-2013, 08:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Power of supermarkets

"Sacha" wrote

Not so long ago I told Ray that I'd read of a wholesale nursery going belly
up. Today, he learned a bit more about it and said it was because it had a
£3 million order from a supermarket chain which suddenly decided to halve
that order. Then it said that if they potted the remaining order on, they
might buy them. They didn't. Personally, I don't understand why anyone
puts their entire future and livelihood into the hands of one customer.
But neither do I understand the morals of a customer who will do that to a
supplier. The more I hear of this sort of thing, the less inclined I am to
use supermarkets and am minded to go back to the old days of shopping at
small individual shops for every need, wherever possible. It's less
convenient, it takes longer and it may well be a bit more expensive but if
supermarkets can do this to their suppliers, it's a short step from that to
"you can only buy what we offer you, there is nothing else" and all our
high street shops are gone and so are our choices.

This has been standard in most Supermarket contracts for years. Indeed if
they decide to do a BOGOFF for example then they halve the price they pay to
the supplier in most cases.

--
Regards. Bob Hobden.