Old 01-09-2013, 11:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Janet is offline

Default Gardeners World

In article , says...

"Trevor Appleton" wrote

For the last 17 years since Geoff Hamilton sadly departed this world, our
household expression for watching GW at 8.30 on a Friday has been putting
'Geoff' on. No one could replace him and certainly not Titch or Toby, or
even Montys first charge of the helm.

However I can finally now say that I feel we have someone I like equally as
much as Geoff - good old Monty!!

I'm not sure. I have noticed that if we go out I don't bother to record the
programme or watch it on iPlayer whereas with Geoff it was compulsive
viewing. I do think Monty is a good presenter though.
My beef with Monty is that he is strictly organic and won't even mention
chemicals, makes his own compost which few can and decries peat based
compost which we all know is the best for plants, and has a field for a
garden.

At least it really is his own home garden; where he's lived and
gardened for decades, long before he started presenting GW from it.

All that must make it very difficult for most "new" potential
gardeners watching who have, maybe, 30ft by 20ft as a garden and no room for
a compost bin.

You may have forgotten, or never knew, that Geoff Hamilton's TV garden
at Barnsdale was 5 acres. He acquired and developed it for the purpose
of GW.The (many) apparent "small suburban plot" areas shown on GW, were
created for the purposes of TV broadcast.

Janet.