Old 01-09-2013, 12:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_11_] Sacha[_11_] is offline

Default Clematis armandii

On 2013-09-01 12:09:37 +0100, Martin said:

On Sun, 1 Sep 2013 10:39:13 +0100, Sacha

On 2013-09-01 08:45:09 +0100, Martin said:

On Sat, 31 Aug 2013 20:55:32 +0100, "Trevor Appleton"
wrote:

I had one in frosty East Yorkshire for 7 or 8 years. The trunk grew to
almost 6 inches diameter. I used to dispute the claim that it was scented
though - never smelt anything from mine.

wrote in message ...

All of my references say that this is not particularly hardy, but
I am coming to the conclusion that may be another gardening myth.
Has anyone got experiences of it suffering more than slightly
with (a) -10 Celcius in winter or (b) late frosts?

On this, I lost a few morning glory seedlings and young shoots
of a few plants died in the recent frosts. Nothing of consequence,
so far! But C. armandii had no trouble, though I have lost young
shoots in the past.

On another aspect, does anyone have experience of "Snowdrift"?
Is it a reasonably tough form, and what does it smell like?
"Apple Blossom", I know.

We have one that has survived two cold winters, one with night
temperatures down to -13C. Last winter we had two weeks of night
temperatures of -8C. My daughter lives to the north of Stoke-on Trent.
Her C. armandii has survived two cold winters too.

Perhaps it depends on whether it's on a house wall where it gets more
protection, perhaps?

Neither are on the side of house. Ours is in an exposed position.

Very interesting. I'll mention this to Ray and see if we have any left
that we can try somewhere in the garden. I suspect they've all gone,
though.

Certainly, when we had that very cold winter 3
years ago, we found C. armandii very hard to come by when we wanted
extra supplies.

Look towards NL, which seems to be the source of many sold by garden
centres in UK

Oh indeed. Some of the Dutch growers took a dreadful bashing over that winter.

--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com