Old 01-09-2013, 03:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider[_3_] Spider[_3_] is offline

Default Gardeners World

On 31/08/2013 20:59, Trevor Appleton wrote:
For the last 17 years since Geoff Hamilton sadly departed this world,
our household expression for watching GW at 8.30 on a Friday has been
putting 'Geoff' on. No one could replace him and certainly not Titch or
Toby, or even Montys first charge of the helm.

However I can finally now say that I feel we have someone I like equally
as much as Geoff - good old Monty!!

I also find that I am increasingly enjoying Monty's garden and gardening
*but* not as Gardeners' World. It's Monty's garden. We are all a bit
nosey about what happens in someone else's garden, and Long Meadow
fronted by Monty is great at showing that. Nigel's pretty good, too!
He has his own following, I believe. However, I would like someone to
come along and do what St. Geoff did, which was decorative and
productive gardening on a more suburban scale and, indeed, on a budget -
at least some of the time. I know Monty's garden is divided into
smaller gardens, which helps a bit, but they're not 'gardening from
scratch' *and* they're possibly a bit grandiose for many people.

We certainly need a prime time gardening programme (not 'show') to give
us a mix of gardening types, some small construction projects, and lots
of information about plants *with their names* so that we can learn and
be inspired. I confess I loved Toby Buckland's handling of GW and wish
the BBC had left him at the helm to work in his own way. Alas, it was
not to be.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London