Old 01-09-2013, 04:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Gary Woods Gary Woods is offline

Default Power of supermarkets

(Nick Maclaren) wrote:

Starting with supermarkets, but now in almost all areas of
retail and 'service' (such as banks), we are no longer the customers
but their commodities.

I heard an interview with Phil Zimmerman, author of Pretty Good Privacy and
net privacy guru. When asked about "free" services like Facebook, Gmail,
etc., he said "If the commodity is free, YOU are the commodity."
There's a lot of that going around on my side of the pond
too....supermarket loyalty cards so they can tell what you're buying, sell
the info to their suppliers, etc.