Old 01-09-2013, 05:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
harryagain[_2_] harryagain[_2_] is offline

Default Compost Worms

"'Mike'" wrote in message
I never have trouble getting a good supply of compost worms into my bins so
it has raised a question. Why are compost worms for sale?

I believe that all of the Dalek type bins are open bottomed so even if
they are standing on concrete, worms will find the bin, look at when you
lift a wet paving slab or pot, there are worms underneath.

OR; and this is the second question. Are the compost type worms which I
find plentiful naturally, an element or characteristic of of the area
'South of the Watford Gap' for example?

Mike

The ordinary worm you dig up in the garden processes only soil.
The ones you want process vegetable material.
So if you plonk a compost bin on soil, only the "wrong" worms are likely to
be there,
So you have to get some in. They are small red oness, you find them in
woodland in the leafmould.
Or in piles of rotting horse shit.
Or buy some.