Old 01-09-2013, 05:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Kilner jars.

On 01/09/2013 14:29, Baz wrote:
I went to the car boot market this morning to get me spring cabbage plants
and bought a box of 30ish 1 and 2 pint kilner jars for £3.50. Most of the
seals are nacked, but no problem I can make some.
I am going to do some beetroot, onions, tomatoes and some cucumbers
(gerkins?).
That will take 10 jars maximum.
What else can I store in them? My auntie makes all the jam and marmalade
until such times when she can't anymore.

I can give them away, and I will, no problem, but I like the idea of
preserving what I can. If I give them away they will be full, probably of
beetroot or onions. Maybe tomatoes, seeing as how they have started to
ripen by the minute.

Baz

Basically, any vegetable/fruit that needs to be boiled to be cooked
could be stored cooked in a Kilner Jar. I happen to love ratatouille,
and I see no reason why that couldn't' be cooked and stored in a KJ.
What about ready-prepared mushy peas? Curried aubergines (or other
"fruit" veg)? Apple and/or pear puree?

--

Jeff