Old 01-09-2013, 09:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Roger Tonkin[_2_] Roger Tonkin[_2_] is offline

Default Kilner jars.

In article ,
says...

I went to the car boot market this morning to get me spring cabbage plants
and bought a box of 30ish 1 and 2 pint kilner jars for £3.50. Most of the
seals are nacked, but no problem I can make some.
I am going to do some beetroot, onions, tomatoes and some cucumbers
(gerkins?).
That will take 10 jars maximum.
What else can I store in them? My auntie makes all the jam and marmalade
until such times when she can't anymore.

I can give them away, and I will, no problem, but I like the idea of
preserving what I can. If I give them away they will be full, probably of
beetroot or onions. Maybe tomatoes, seeing as how they have started to
ripen by the minute.

Baz

Iuse them mainly for bottling fruit, particularly
rhubarb (& blackcuurant mixed). You can then open and
eat a nice desert, without any forward planning.

Blackberries at this time of the year, again, with or
without apple).

For tomatoes, I always add a teaspoon of sugar and
same of salt. They are better if the skins are removed
(using boiling water). Swmbo uses them instead of tins
of tomatoes, and if only alittle is needed, then
freezes the rest.

--
Roger T

700 ft up in Mid-Wales