Old 02-09-2013, 12:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David Hill David Hill is offline

Default Kilner jars.

I would use then judiciously, I remember my parent laughing that they
bottled new potatoes, thought they would be lovely for Christmas. After
a couple of months there we several very loud explosions, on
investigation the potatoes has fermented and exploded. Took them a while
to clean up the mess. Incidentally I remember mum preserving rings of
apples by salting and drying, when soaked they made very acceptable
apple pies! Mind you this was during the war, when she also preserved
runner beans in a similar fashion.

Remember, if you are going to try this, the salt then was different to
the bulk of what you get today, it was either rock salt or sea salt
without the additives that we now have.