Old 02-09-2013, 05:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Baz[_3_] Baz[_3_] is offline

Default Kilner jars.

Gary Woods wrote in
:

Baz wrote:

I am going to do some beetroot, onions, tomatoes and some cucumbers
(gerkins?).

I may have missed mention of botulism; surely everybody knows that
non-acid foods need the temperature of a pressure canner to be sure?
I had to dig out my EnglishAmerican reference to find out that we
call them "Mason jars," after the dominant (but surely not only)
manufacturer. What are use are similar to the pictures of Kilner jars,
with a separate ring (usually removed after the contents cool) and lid
with rubber seal, which is not to be re-used.

One other suggestion. Go round the canned and/or bottled fruit and
veg shelves of a large supermarket or two (maybe a Lidl or Aldi too,
as they often have different ranges to the usual). See what they
have available. If you are growing similar things, or will be next
year, you could try the same thing if anything appeals to you.

I have done that. My favourite is beans, whole or in a pod, canned and
sweetened. I have been told in this group that it has the potential to
harbour nasty bugs. My great aunt(who lives with us and is chief cook)
used to make Kilner jars full of them. Unfortunatly now in her 80's
she can't remember how. She is still the best cook I know.

I just clipped the above from within this discussion.

So we can't bottle beans safely?
I want to be clear on this.

Thanks
Baz