Old 02-09-2013, 05:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Janet is offline

Default Kilner jars.

In article ,
says...

Baz wrote:

I am going to do some beetroot, onions, tomatoes and some cucumbers
(gerkins?).

I may have missed mention of botulism; surely everybody knows that non-acid
foods need the temperature of a pressure canner to be sure?

Nope, nobody in the UK knows that. Here, Kilner jars of fruit/veg are
just filled, closed and cooked in a boiling water pan without pressure.

What's more, when we've filled jars with home made jam and put the
lid on, that's it done; we don't boil them at all.

I know that transpondians regard these as dicing-with-death pagan
practices, but we've always done it this way and not died of botulism.

Janet