Old 02-09-2013, 07:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Kilner jars.

On 02/09/2013 19:02, Tom Gardner wrote:
On 02/09/13 16:37, Gary Woods wrote:
Baz wrote:

I am going to do some beetroot, onions, tomatoes and some cucumbers
(gerkins?).

I may have missed mention of botulism; surely everybody knows that non-acid
foods need the temperature of a pressure canner to be sure?

I'm not sure that's sufficient, but I haven't checked either way.

Several decades ago several people were poisoned by botulism
in canned salmon from a major manufacturer. I remember this
since at the end of the week it was in the news my cousin
married one of the daughters of the MD of the company.
Yes, they did refer to it in the speeches

IIRC, this was because the canning seal failed. After heating, the cans
were cooled with water which contained C.botulinum (or its spores).
There were pinholes in the seal, and when the steam in the can
condensed, the vacuum drew the contaminated water into the can.

--

Jeff