Old 02-09-2013, 10:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
bert bert is offline

Default OT David Frost

In message , Jake
writes
On Sun, 1 Sep 2013 21:45:40 +0100, "Pete C"
wrote:

An amazing man....a sad loss. RIP David.

Whilst I +1 your comment, is not every death a sad loss? I'm the
ultimate cynic perhaps but having attended 6 funerals in the last 2
months (and wondering if I'll be next to be honest) I was amazed today
to glance through the first page of comments on the BBC Website.
People who'd never got closer to him than a TV screen gushing their
regrets as if he was their brother or something. God help them when
their real brother or something dies!

Yes, his family will be devastated and I empathise with them in their
sorrow. Yes, I liked his interviewing style (for which, in more recent
years he was criticised) and will remember his catchphrases and the
way he intoned many other regular phrases like "As we go through
(pause) the (inflection) keyhole". Yes, I'll remember his marathon
Nixon interview. But at the end of the day, he did his job, period.

And I won't miss him any more, indeed much less, than any of the 6
friends and relatives to whom I've said goodbye recently and who
didn't get a BBC tribute page or an, albeit OT, newsgroup thread.

+1
--
bert