Old 04-09-2013, 01:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Kilner jars.

"Gary Woods" wrote in message
Baz wrote:

I am going to do some beetroot, onions, tomatoes and some cucumbers
(gerkins?).

I may have missed mention of botulism; surely everybody knows that
non-acid
foods need the temperature of a pressure canner to be sure?
I had to dig out my EnglishAmerican reference to find out that we call
them "Mason jars," after the dominant (but surely not only) manufacturer.
What are use are similar to the pictures of Kilner jars, with a separate
ring (usually removed after the contents cool) and lid with rubber seal,
which is not to be re-used.

--

My grandfather managed to not kill us all with his kidney beans storage but
IIRC he used rock salt. It came in loaf shape and had be sawed by a knife.