Old 04-09-2013, 10:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Kilner jars.

In article ,
David Hill wrote:

Going by what some here would have you believe possibly they should be
called Killing-her Jars.
Anyone stupid enough to put meat or fish into them must be a couple of
sandwiches short of a picnic.

Try looking in a typical French supermarket - you will see lots of
meat-containing dishes packed in such jars. The point is that it is
pretty safe - IF AND ONLY IF you do it correctly. What I don't know
is what the risk is of the non-acid vegetable foods that Baz is
proposing to preserve. Certainly, the traditional UK practice was
to do them under pressure.

I think you are talking about what was called potted meat when I was young.
Not something that was commonly done at home.

Not just that - think cassoulet or confit de canard. While that
sort of thing was not commonly done to meat at home in the UK,
France is very little higher.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.