Old 08-09-2013, 08:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
harryagain[_2_] harryagain[_2_] is offline

Default Sterilizing Kilner jars

"Baz" wrote in message
I was wondering, instead of wasting gas and electricity to sterilize the
jars, if citric acid and sodium bisulphite(as in winemaking sterilization)
would do the trick.
I do bottle some things when I have the oven on and cooking.

Thanks
Baz

Sterilising is a very exact term and means the destruction of all life.
Not possible with boiling water.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sterili...obiology)#Heat
Using water, sterilisation can only be achieved with low pressure steam
(but more thean atmospheric).

The correct term for what you achieve with boiling water (and chemicals) is
disinfection (only some bacteria are killed).
Plenty can survive boiling water ad infinitum.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disinfection