Old 08-09-2013, 08:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
harryagain[_2_] harryagain[_2_] is offline

Default Sterilizing Kilner jars

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
In article , Baz
wrote:

Capitals are regarded as shouting.
Perhaps you can set your keyboard to whispering.
Only joking.

But can I bottle.........
Joking again.

God help me, I am seriously ****ed off with the trolls and just
plain idiots who keep ignoring the simple fact that the vegetables
you want to bottle are non-acid :-(

I don't know exactly what the chances are of a non-gassy,
non-tainting botulinus infection are, but the consequences of one
are likely to be death for anyone eating the result. If I were
bottling vegetables, I would do as we did in the UK in the 1950s
and use pressure. Fruit isn't a problem, and you don't need
pressure.

There were good reasons that most people in the UK up to the
1950s used bottling only for fruit, and preserved vegetables by
salting, drying etc. Pressure bottling is a pain to do, and
constrains the amounts you do and size of bottles.

But it's your life ....

All the above is true.
You could do it by putting your filled jars in a pressure cooker.
You would need to be certain all parts of the contents were heated through.
You would need to be certain they were cool (unpressurised before opening
the pressure cooker.
So even then a bit dodgy.

This is how tinned meats are manufacuted commercially, ie they are sealed in
the tin an cooked in an autoclave at high steam pressure.