Old 08-09-2013, 11:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Janet is offline

Default Sterilizing Kilner jars

In article , nospamigg1937
@yahoo.co.uk says...

On Sat, 07 Sep 2013 20:02:37 +0100, David Hill
wrote:

I'm not going to go out to buy a dishwasher just to heat jam jars.

No need; you have an oven.

One thing I want to try is instead of lids or papers and covers for

the
jars (I've actually been using cling film for the last few years) is to
try candle wag poured on when the jam is still warm/hot it will cap off
the contents.,

Could be hard (or expensive) to find modern candles which are food
safe.

I have a jug of hard paraffin wax which I use and reuse on the odd

What a faff! I use a waxed paper disc (buy the right size for your
jars) laid wax side down on top of the marmalade while piping hot.
Followed by a screw top lid.

Discs are available from Lakeland; old lids can be cleaned boiled and
re-used, or you can buy new ones online.

Janet