Old 08-09-2013, 01:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Baz[_3_] Baz[_3_] is offline

Default Sterilizing Kilner jars

Janet wrote in
t:

In article , nospamigg1937
@yahoo.co.uk says...

On Sat, 07 Sep 2013 20:02:37 +0100, David Hill
wrote:

I'm not going to go out to buy a dishwasher just to heat jam jars.

No need; you have an oven.

One thing I want to try is instead of lids or papers and covers for

the
jars (I've actually been using cling film for the last few years) is
to try candle wag poured on when the jam is still warm/hot it will
cap off the contents.,

Could be hard (or expensive) to find modern candles which are food
safe.

I have a jug of hard paraffin wax which I use and reuse on the odd

What a faff! I use a waxed paper disc (buy the right size for your
jars) laid wax side down on top of the marmalade while piping hot.
Followed by a screw top lid.

Discs are available from Lakeland; old lids can be cleaned boiled
and
re-used, or you can buy new ones online.

Janet

We buy from a charity(Womens Institute) for our jam and marmalade most
times, when my great aunt forgets how to do it, she is getting older now.
They used to sell it with a bit of greaseproof paper and an elastic band
around it.
They are not allowed to sell it like that anymore. I don't think it hurt
anybody. But the law.....insists....
There is nothing nicer, in the preserve world, than a spoon of home made
jam or marmalade.

Baz